Repsol Honda MotoGP rookie Marc Marquez showed that his controversial second place on Sunday was no fluke by topping Monday’s MotoGP test times.
The Repsol Honda rider passed Lorenzo in a do or die move that saw him locking handlebars and fairings with the Factory Yamaha rider to push Lorenzo to third. Marquez then went on to top the MotoGP test times at Jerez on Monday. Lapping even faster than his qualifying time for the race.
He clocked a 1m'38.824 lap time to put him on top of the timesheets, one tenth faster than his qualifying time 1m38.971 from the weekend’s race.
Marquez said: “Today was a very positive day of testing for us. We started with the base from yesterday, to focus on some problems we had in the race and we managed to find solutions quickly. We tried some new settings with the front forks, rear suspension and electronics. Some things went better than others, but the important thing is that we were consistent, which is what matters in MotoGP. We hope that what we did today helps us over the next few races"
Britain’s Cal Crutchlow was second fastest.
1. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 38.824s (Lap 27/63)
2. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 38.916s (30/67)
3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 1m 38.958s (30/81)
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 38.979s (4/56)
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Yamaha Factory Racing (YZR-M1) 1m 39.397s (37/61)
6. Alvaro Bautista ESP Go Fun Honda Gresini (RC213V) 1m 39.457s (31/50)
7. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (GP13) 1m 39.524s (15/47)
8. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team (GP13) 1m 39.643s (21/35)
9. Stefan Bradl GER LCR Honda MotoGP (RC213V) 1m 39.894s (22/71)
10. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 40.009s (42/50)
11. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Blusens (FTR-Kawasaki CRT) 1m 40.197s (3/31)
12. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Avintia Blusens (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 1m 40.730s (10/51)
13. Claudio Corti ITA NGM Forward Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 1m 40.958s (50/58)
14. Danilo Petrucci ITA Came IodaRacing Project (Suter-BMW CRT)* 1m 41.029s (52/59)
15. Michael Laverty GBR Paul Bird Motorsport (PBM-ART CRT)* 1m 41.045s (58/58)
16. Bryan Staring AUS Go Fun Honda Gresini (FTR-Honda CRT)* 1m 41.181s (18/46)
17. Colin Edwards USA NGM Forward Racing (FTR-Kawasaki CRT)* 1m 41.591s (14/43)
18. Yonny Hernandez COL Paul Bird Motorsport (ART CRT) 1m 41.763s (14/62)
19. Lukas Pesek CZE Came IodaRacing Project (Suter-BMW CRT)* 1m 43.017s (15/20)