Author: Bike Social Sports Reporter Posted: 27 Jun 2014
Shane Byrne started as he means to go on at the fourth round of the British Superbike Championship at Knockhill, setting the fastest time of the day in the second free practice session. Ryuichi Kiyonari was second fastest this afternoon after topping the morning session.
Kiyonari struggled at the start of last season but things started to come together for the Japanese rider at Knockhill, where he took two podium finishes. Despite flashes of pace he’s not been able to turn this into results, could Knockhill be where this changes? Kiyonari’s time was just 0.005 faster than Byrne this morning with Scot, Stuart Easton third on the timesheets a further half second back on his team mate. Tommy Bridewell and John Hopkins rounded out the top five.
Kiyonari led for a large part of the second session, albeit by 0.004 ahead of Byrne but the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki man took the lead by two tenths with ten minutes to go. Milwaukee Yamaha’s Josh Brookes improving to third place in the afternoon session with homeboy Stuart Easton knocked back to fourth.
Tommy Bridewell set the fifth fastest time in the afternoon session ahead of Tyco Suzuki’s John Hopkins. Michael Rutter, Chris Walker, James Westmoreland and James Ellison rounded out the top ten.
It was a tough start for the three riders joining new teams for the weekend. Peter Hickman was down in 22nd place some 1.5 seconds off the pace on the RAF Reserves Honda. Jon Kirkham, who switched from Tsingtao to Halsall Kawasaki was 23rd, 1.8 seconds off the pace while Harry Hartley, joining Tsingtao Kawasaki was over three seconds off the pace.
Free Practice 1 Times
1) R. KIYONARI – Buildbase BMW Motorrad – 48.497
2) S. BYRNE – Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki – 48.422
3) S. EASTON – Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki – 48.921
4) T. BRIDEWELL – Milwaukee Yamaha – 49.027
5) J. HOPKINS – Tyco Suzuki – 49.028
6) J. BROOKES – Milwaukee Yamaha – 49.049
7) M. RUTTER – Bathams BMW – 49.157
8) J. WESTMORELAND – Buildbase BMW Motorrad – 49.242
9) C. WALKER – Lloyds British GBmoto Kawasaki – 49.294
10) D. LINFOOT – Quattro Plant Kawasaki – 49.307
Free Practice 2 Times
1) S. BYRNE – Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki – 48.243
2) R. KIYONARI – Buildbase BMW Motorrad – 48.497
3) J. BROOKES – Milwaukee Yamaha – 48.536
4) S. EASTON – Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki – 48.652
5) T. BRIDEWELL – Milwaukee Yamaha – 48.711
6) J. HOPKINS – Tyco Suzuki – 48.805
7) M. RUTTER – Bathams BMW – 48.925
8) C. WALKER – Lloyds British GBmoto Kawasaki – 48.972
9) J. WESTMORELAND – Buildbase BMW Motorrad – 49.041
10) J. ELLISON – Lloyds British GBmoto Kawasaki – 49.163