What YOU need to ride in Europe | Essential checklist

how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_12


Whether you’re planning a quick hop across the channel or several weeks riding through Europe, our checklist will guide you through, so before you book your tickets, let's have a look at what you need to sort out before you go, and what paperwork you'll need from the time you roll off the ferry (other means of cross-channel travel are available)…


European motorcycle riding - ten essential things to check

Here's the stuff you need to stay legal on the continent, regardless of where you're headed – we’ll look at the specific needs of France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Ireland, and Switzerland further down the page.

Incidentally, most countries will require originals of documents not photocopies, but you might want to photocopy them anyway and keep the copies to hand for casual checks; if they want originals, you can dig them out if needed.

1: Passport: And make sure it's valid. That doesn't mean just 'not expired yet'... The EU/Schengen requirement is that your passport much have been issued less than ten years before your outward travel date, AND that it has three months' validity on your planned return date.

The ten year rule may be an issue for some UK passport holders; if you last renewed your passport well in advance and had the remaining months of your old one added, then you might have plenty of validity left but still fall foul of the 10-year rule, so double check... If you need a new one, don't delay – at time of writing applications were taking up to three months!

2: Licence: There’s no need for an International Driving Permit (IDP) as your UK Licence is still valid. The exceptions are if you're still holding an old-style paper licence rather than a photocard, or if your licence was issued in Gibraltar, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man. In those cases, you will need a 1968 IDP to ride legally in most EU/EEA countries (including France and Germany, but not Spain). For information on global IDP requirements, visit the government website here.


how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_05


3: Bike documents: You need to carry the bike's V5c (log book) and MoT certificate at all times. If you're not the legal owner (for example if the bike's on finance) then you may need a form V103 to prove you have permission from the owner to take it out of the country. If you don't have the V5c at all you'll need a V103B as well to show in its place. Contact the finance company well in advance if in doubt.

The above assumes you're riding the bike yourself – if you're taking it in a van, or on a motorhome or trailer, you may need extra paperwork. See the National Motorcyclists Council's latest advice here: https://www.uknmc.org/news/motorcycle-transportation-and-the-eu-border-nmc-publishes-advice

4: Insurance: You no longer need a Green Card to ride in the European Union, but you will need your insurance certificate (again, not a copy, though if it’s supplied digitally, you can print it out).

5: GB sticker: The old GB sticker is no longer valid for travel in Europe – you now need a UK one, unless your number plate already has the ‘UK’ identifier and Union flag on it. However, if your number plate says ‘GB’ with the Union flag, the Euro symbol, the England, Scotland or Wales flags, or has no flags at all, then you do need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of the vehicle.

In Spain, Cyprus or Malta you must display a UK sticker regardless of what’s on the number place, and if you have a GB sticker, you need to cover or remove it before driving outside the UK. You don’t need a UK sticker to ride or drive in Ireland.

For the latest information, check the government site here.

6: Travel/breakdown insurance: This is not obligatory, but it is highly recommended, and should include repatriation for you AND you bike if it's going to be worth having. You need to make sure the policy you choose actually covers you not just for riding bikes, but for the type of bike and the type of riding – you don't want to find out the hard way that it doesn't cover a spot of off-road, for example, or a trip into the Armco at the Nürburgring.

Also check restrictions on pre-existing medical conditions, and double-check the small point on duration of cover – we've heard of cases where riders have been refused claims because they purchased cover from the time they landed abroad, when the small print said they needed cover from the moment they left home...



7: EHIC/GHIC: The EHIC (European Health Insurance Card, which made sure you didn't get stung for a huge hospital bill if it all went tits up) is now defunct, post Brexit (although existing cards are still valid up to their expiry dates), and we thought that was likely to be the end of it. But it's back, now rebranded as the Global Health Insurance Car (GHIC). It's still free, and it still works across Europe!

Again, it's not compulsory to carry one, but you'd be daft not to, given that even a couple of days in hospital could see you owing several grand. If you simply forget to take one you CAN make a claim in retrospect - but you're unlikely to get a full refund.

9: A calendar: Or at least an eye on dates if you're a frequent traveller. Post-Brexit, UK bikers are under the same rules as other non-EU citizens. That means you're limited to 90 days in the Schengen area in any 180-day period. Maybe not a problem for most visitors nipping over for a holiday, but if your work takes you abroad a lot AND you want to holiday in the EU as well, it can quickly add up.

Bear in mind it's a rolling 180 days too, so if in doubt you need to to work back from your return date to 180 days before that, then add up how many days you've been in Schengen between the two (your passport should have been stamped going in and out, so it shouldn't be hard). Then subtract that number from 90 to give how many days you're allowed in this time.

9: ETIAS Visa Waiver – but not yet... very soon, third country nationals who don't need an actual visa to visit the EU or Schengen Area (that includes us Brits) will need an electronic visa waiver before travel. It's called ETIAS, which stands for the European Travel Information and Authorisation System, and it's similar to the ESTA system for travel to the USA. In theory the system comes into force in November 2023, but it's already been put back several times, may be delayed again, and even once in place there will almost certainly be at least a six month grace period before it actually becomes mandatory. Applications will be made online and are fairly simple - you'll need a scanned copy of your passport and a biometric digital photo to hand - and it costs 7 euros (beware third party sites charging extra). You should get approval almost straight away (ETIAS say 95% of applications will be decided 'within minutes') but it might take up to four days if extra checks are concerned, and up to four WEEKS if they need to come back to you for extra information. It's valid for three years but if your passport runs out before that, then so does ETIAS, so you'll need to reapply as soon as you renew your passport.

At time of writing (December 2022) the ETIAS application portal wasn't live, but you can sign up to be informed of developments here.

Note: ETIAS is only available for those with full British Citizenship. If you are a British Subject, British Overseas Citizen or British Protected Person you need to apply for a full Schengen Visa instead.


how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_01


10: Tools/spares/puncture kit: Not compulsory, but potentially useful. It’s up to you whether you carry any spares, but a small toolkit is always handy, even if it's only so you can tighten up the odd loose sat-nav mount or trim a frayed luggage strap.

A puncture kit is well worth having too, but completely pointless unless you know how to use it, so make sure you practice a couple of times on an old tyre before you go.

One useful tip - if you have a bike with a single-sided swingarm with one big nut on the hub, it's worth carrying a suitable socket with you; it's easy enough to get a puncture fixed or a new tyre fitted, but not every tyre place or bike shop will have the right socket for your particular bike.


Other things you might need when riding in Europe

Depending on which countries you're visiting, you may need extra paperwork, equipment and/or knowledge. Here's a start for the most popular destinations for Brit bikers…



Even if you're not actually going to France, you’ll probably be passing through and you need to be legal while you're there.

In addition to the main requirements for the EU, France has a few extras:

  • You should carry a reflective/hi viz jacket or gilet at all times, in case of emergencies.
  • You should have an in-date alcohol tester (although there's no fine for not having one).
  • In theory you should also have approved reflective stickers on your helmet, although no one ever does (including the locals), and we've never heard of anyone being nicked.
  • You may well get nicked for riding without CE-approved gloves though.
  • Contrary to popular wisdom you do NOT need to carry a spare bulb kit… although it's not a bad idea anyway.

Probably the most important thing to know before riding in France is how the Priorité à Droite rule works – you'll find a full explanation in our guide to riding in France here.


how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_06

Make sure you understand Priorité à Droite. Image by Yodaspirine



Spain's one of our favourite places to ride as there’s little traffic away from the towns, plenty of accommodation, and great food in busy coastal resorts. But head a couple of miles inland and you might not see a soul all day.

And then there's the roads... we can't think of anywhere you get such a variety of tarmac, and so much opportunity to get into an all-day bend-swinging groove. Generally, the list of required papers/kit is the same as for the rest of the EU, but you also need…

  • Spare glasses (if you're a specs wearer)
  • You should have a reflective/hi viz jacket or gilet with you on the bike in case of emergencies.
  • Loud pipes are frowned upon and can get you an on-the spot fine.

There are quite a few other peculiarities and things to watch out for in Spain, including new urban speed limits and rules – see our full guide to riding in Spain here.


how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_13

Whatever country you visit, always respect the locals



A very popular destination for UK bikers with great scenery, fine roads, excellent beer and the opportunity to go as fast as you want, legally. What's not to like? Well, not that much, but as you might expect those high speeds come with a warning…

  • Not all Autobahnen are unrestricted - only about half of the total.
  • Even derestricted motorways still carry an advisory limit of 130km/h (80mph) – if you ride faster, you accept the consequences if it all goes wrong, and you also expose yourself to prosecution for even minor driving faults.
  • Often the motorways are too congested to go fast anyway, in which case remember filtering's only legal in completely stationary traffic.
  • Depending where you go, noisy pipes can get you into hot water, and some roads are sometimes closed to motorcycles completely at certain times as a result of noise problems.
  • Despite some advice to the contrary, motorcycles don't need special stickers to enter low-emissions zones in German cities.

See our full guide to riding in Germany – including advice about the Nürburgring – here.


Customer Quotes - Trustpilot - June 23

Well find you our best price from 5-star rated cover

how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_09



Italy's a great place to ride – we really must do a full guide on it soon. From the mountains and lakes in the north, through the industrial belt and down to the agricultural south, it's got a bit of everything. Basic paperwork/equipment rules are the same as elsewhere in the EU, with a few additions…

  • You need a reflective/hi-viz gilet on board.
  • Speed limits are 50km/h (30mph) in town, 90km/h (55mph) on A roads, 110km/h (68mph) on dual cabbageways and 130km/h (80mph) on motorways.
  • If it's raining, those last two drop to 90km/h (55mph) and 110km/h (68mph) respectively.
  • Be wary of filling up on motorways – fuel can be frighteningly expensive, and if you accidentally choose an attended pump, that rises from frightening to terrifying...
  • Also terrifying is the general standard of driving – be very, very wary approaching junctions, overtaking slower traffic in town, out of town… well, just everywhere. All the time.


how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_14



The Emerald Isle is in the EU, and we're not, so most of the same advice applies as elsewhere in the EU. But bizarrely you don't necessarily need a passport – your photocard driving licence should suffice. We'd take a passport anyway, just in case.

Once there, you'll find beautiful scenery, friendly people, lovely winding roads (but beware wildlife, farm animals and agricultural vehicles – it's not a place to go fast) and good beer. Well worth the trip.

Check out our guide to riding in Ireland here.


how to ride motorcycle in europe law rules_15

We didn’t have any photos of someone having fun riding in Switzerland, so here’s another one from Spain



Switzerland's far too law-abiding to be fun on a bike for very long, although it does have some magnificent scenery of course. Mainly it's just easier to go through it than around it when you're on your way to Italy, Austria or places further East (speaking of which, have a look at our guide to riding in Croatia here.

Although it's not part of the EU (or the EEA for that matter), Switzerland has signed treaties that mean riding there is pretty much the same as in the EU. Be aware that Switzerland operates a Prorité à Droite rule, like France, which can catch out the unwary. For a full explanation see our guide to France here.

Apart from that, the main thing is to get a Vignette for the motorways if you're planning to use them; you can get one at most garages or at the border, or online in advance for around 40 euros. Get stopped on the motorway without one and it's a big fine. Speeding fines are also big – around 200 quid for a minor offence – so be careful. Also, don't park up on the pavement - more big fines... In fact, let’s refer you back to Spain…



Customer Quote

Bennetts direct insurance customers get membership for FREE, or you can become a member for just £6 / month and start getting rewarded today.

  • Discounted track days and rider training at some of the top UK circuits
  • Exclusive savings and discounts on everything you need from the world of motorcycling
  • Unique experiences and VIP access at the very best motorcycling events
  • Exclusive competitions and prizes all year round