Is my driving licence valid after Brexit? What does no deal mean for bikers?

John Milbank, BikeSocial Consumer Editor
By John Milbank
BikingMilbank BikeSocial Consumer Editor, John owns a Yamaha MT-10 and Honda Grom. He's as happy tinkering in the workshop as he is on twisty backroads, and loves every bike ever built (except one). He's bought three CBR600s, a KTM 1050 Adventure, two Ducati Monsters, several winter hacks, three off-roaders, a supermoto pit bike, a Honda Vision 50 and built his own custom XSR700. 


Is my driving licence valid after Brexit? What does no deal mean for bikers?


As we wait for the conclusion – or otherwise – of article 50, speculation continues over the effects of a potential no-deal Brexit. The Department for Transport (DfT) has issued guidance over how riding a motorcycle or travelling by car could be affected. Here’s what you need to know…


Is my UK driving licence valid after Brexit?

If the UK leaves the EU with no deal in place, riders and drivers travelling in the EU, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway will need an International Driving Permit (IDP), as well as their UK driving licence. These can be obtained from your local Post Office, and cost £5.50. To apply, you’ll need a full, valid UK driving licence (photocard or the old paper licence) and a passport-sized photo of yourself. You’ll need an original valid passport as proof of ID if you have an older paper driving licence, and the fee can be paid in cash, or by credit or debit card.

If there’s a no-deal Brexit, and the UK and EU fail to reach a separate agreement, riders and drivers of UK-registered motorcycles and cars will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland. You can get a Green Card from your insurer, who should not charge you, assuming you have a policy that includes overseas use (all Bennetts motorcycle insurance policies include 90 days of EU cover as standard).



Do I need a GB sticker on my bike or car?

In the event of no deal, you’ll need a GB sticker even if you have a UK-registered vehicle with the EU flag on the plate.


Can I still use my UK driving licence if I live abroad?

If you live in the EU and have a UK driving licence, the DfT is advising that you change it for a local EU driving licence before 29 March 2019. If we do leave the EU with no deal, from that date you might have to pass a driving test in the country where you live to be able to continue to drive or ride.

It’s recommended that you do this as soon as possible, as demand is likely to increase as we approach 29 March, and processing times could get longer.


Will my travel insurance be valid after Brexit?

Most of the potential issues surrounding Brexit are ifs and maybes; while travel insurance is unrelated to freedom of movement, and is designed to protect you against unforeseen eventualities, many polices will have exclusions that may come into force if certain circumstances arise. Part of the problem is with what’s termed ‘known events’, which could exclude Brexit-related travel disruption on some policies.

However, Brexit doesn’t mean that your insurance becomes invalid; if you were injured while riding overseas for instance, as long as you have a good travel insurance policy that covers you to ride the appropriate capacity of motorcycle (like Bennetts Travel Insurance), Brexit – deal or no deal – should not be a consideration.

Ultimately, check your policy for any exclusions that might apply should travel be cancelled or severely delayed, and if in doubt, call your provider.


For more information, visit


Latest News from Bike Social

Latest News

  • Road Safety Statement
    Government proposes changes for safer riding
  • Front End Chatter podcast
    Front End Chatter - episode 97
  • Bruce Anstey confirmed to race at 2019 Classic TT
    Bruce Anstey to race at 2019 Classic TT
  • Ducati Streetfighter V4
    Ducati Streetfigher V4 spied in production form