What to do with your paper driving licence

Author: Oli Rushby Posted: 24 Mar 2015

What to do with your paper licence on June 8th

Do you know where the paper part of your driving licence is? Well, as of June this year it won’t matter.

Last July, the DVLA announced they’d be scrapping the paper counterpart licence as they move towards digitising motorists’ information.

The counterpart is currently used to keep a record of motoring convictions such as speeding and is also a required when providing proof of your licence, such as on track days.

From June, all of this information will be kept in an online database much like the one now used for Vehicle Excise Duty (more commonly known as road tax).

But what does this mean for you? It largely depends on which type of licence you currently hold. If you hold one of the new photocard licences, your counterpart will become invalid as of June 8th. If you’ve got a pre-1998 paper only licence, things are a little different. Read on to find out more. 


You will need to destroy your paper counterpart after June 8th 2015, although there’s probably nothing wrong with keeping hold of it as it can be used to change the address on your licence. From this date your photocard will be the only valid part of your licence so it is important to keep this.

Those issued before 1998

If you have a paper driving licence, you should keep hold of this, as it will remain valid. However, endorsements and penalty points will no longer be recorded on these licences from 8th June with this information instead being stored online. 

The next time you need to renew or change your licence,  you will be issued with a photocard only.

You can view a 'Beta test' version of the online database and check your details here. The full version of the site will launch closer to the abolition date next year.