Motorbike Insurance for Young Riders/Learners

Motorbike Insurance for Young Riders

Nothing compares to the excitement of being a young rider. Whether it’s getting your first bike and getting out on the open road for your first ride or you have been riding a while and you’ve just upgraded your bike to a better model.

Are you 16 or 17 years old and have just bought your first moped or scooter? Whether you have recently passed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) or are planning to take it soon, you’ll need to make sure you have bike insurance for young riders. 

Here you can find out about moped insurance for 16 year olds to help ensure you find the best option for you.  

What is CBT?

You’ll need to do the CBT to be able to take out insurance on your moped or scooter. The CBT is what you must do to be able to ride a moped if you are 16 or over (as well as a motorcycle up to 125cc for those 17 and over.)

The training isn’t a test as such, it is there to ensure you are able to ride safely so that you can then practice for your full test.

The CBT is made up of five parts:

  • Introduction and eyesight check
  • On-site training
  • On-site riding
  • On-road training
  • On-road riding

You must wear suitable clothing including a helmet. Everything else will be provided including the bike and the relevant insurance for the day. You won’t be able to ride your own bike as this would require insurance and you need to do the CBT to get this. 

Once completed, you’ll then have to use L Plates (D Plates in Wales) and take a test within 2 years - or do the CBT again. During this time you’ll require young riders insurance which is specifically for new riders who don’t have their full licence yet. 


Is young riders insurance different to regular bike insurance?

Yes, young riders insurance is what you can take out while you are still learning and have L plates (D plates in Wales) on your moped or scooter. Once you have taken your full test and have a motorbike licence, then you’ll need regular bike insurance. At Bennetts, we tailor your insurance to your exact needs and your bike type. You can find out more about motorbike insurance here.

How much do you typically pay for moped insurance for 16 year olds?

You can expect to pay more when you first start riding a moped or scooter because, as a youngster with little experience on the road, you are deemed to be a higher risk.

There are several other factors that will be taken into account for the overall cost of young riders insurance, however. So, find out how to get cheaper insurance here and then contact us for a quote to find out exactly how much you will have to pay.

Does the cost of insurance differ between a 50cc and 125cc bike? 

Bikes with 50cc and 125cc are aimed at young riders who have done their CBT but don’t yet have a full motorcycle licence. The bikes themselves are cheaper but the insurance is likely to be higher. 125cc is likely to be slightly more expensive to insure than 50cc as it is more powerful and can go faster. Find out more about 50cc and 125cc bikes here.

I'm taking up riding a moped later in life, what insurance do I need? 

As well as offering insurance for young riders who are new to motorcycling or learning to ride for the first time, Bennetts also offers learner and new rider insurance for people who have decided to take up motorcycling later in life too.

Learning to ride and progressing through the licence categories can be a daunting experience, and that makes having a good insurance policy extra important for all new riders so you can have added peace of mind. Bike insurance premiums for new riders are likely to cost more than those for riders that have years of experience, but there are ways to keep your premium down that you can find here.

Can I get one day bike insurance? 

No, you are unable to get 1 day bike insurance through Bennetts - we offer 12 month policies. However, you’ll require insurance once you have done the training to continue riding your bike and practice for the full test, so an annual policy is the best option for new riders.


What information do I need to hand to apply for young riders insurance? 

When applying for your young riders insurance, you’ll need to provide a few details including:

Information about the bike

Either: Your bike registration, or:

Bike make, year of registration, bike cc and bike model


  • The date you bought the bike
  • How much it is worth
  • Where it is going to be kept overnight
  • Expected annual mileage
  • Whether it has been modified or not

Personal information

  • Type of licence - such as a full or provisional licence
  • How long you've had your licence

What type of riders’ insurance should I choose? 

There are three types of insurance to choose from. These are:

  • Third party only: If you have an accident that is your fault, this will cover the others involved (the third party). It doesn’t cover you if your moped is stolen or catches fire.

  • Third party fire and theft: This does cover you if your moped is damaged during an attempted theft, if it is stolen or if it catches fire.

  • Fully comprehensive: ‘Fully comp’ covers you for everything third party does - as well as covering you in the event of an accident, even if it’s your fault or when no one else is involved. 

Find out exactly what is included with each policy here, to help you decide the best one for you. 

Why choose Bennetts? 

So, why choose Bennetts for young rider insurance? Well, not only would your bike insurance be with a reputable brand but you will also receive some great benefits:

  • We will search our panel of insurers to find you the best price for the cover you need
  • We offer comprehensive, third party fire & theft or third party only bike insurance cover
  • 90 days European Union Cover included
  • UK based call centre, open 7 days a week
  • Free access to BikeSocial Membership when you buy your motorbike insurance direct

You’ll also be safe in the knowledge that, if you are involved in an accident, help is at hand with our 24hr accident and claims team.

Last but not least, you can choose to spread the cost of your bike insurance for young riders with a monthly direct debit (subject to status) or pay fully for an annual policy. Please note that the total cost will be more when paying by monthly instalments.

Young riders insurance quote 

To find out how much moped insurance will cost a 16 year old, contact us via our online form or call us on 0344 412 2171 for a quote. We’ll search for the best deal that is tailored to your specific needs and requirements. As well as giving you a quote for your young riders’ motorbike insurance, we’ll also tell you about what will - or can also be - included with your policy. You can also find out more about BikeSocial Membership - the perks that come from getting your bike insurance through Bennetts directly.

More information for young beginner riders