Moped and Scooter Insurance

Moped and Scooter Insurance

Find the best value Moped Insurance with Bennetts

We don’t just provide motorcycle insurance – we also provide specialist moped and scooter insurance cover. Whatever make or model you may ride, we make sure that you have the best cover for your requirements and that you are fully protected by an insurer you can trust.

Why choose Bennetts?

We work closely with our trusted panel of insurers to compare moped insurance policies and obtain the best quotes possible at the most competitive prices. We can offer comprehensive, third party fire and theft or third party only moped insurance cover as well as a number of additional benefits.

How to get a quote

Getting a moped insurance quote is easy with Bennetts – we’ll do the legwork to find you the best premium for your requirements from our panel.

Simply complete our online form for an instant quote, or call our dedicated UK-based call centre on 0330 018 7990, who are on hand 24 hours a day, seven days a week to find our best deal for you.

It can be cheaper than you think

Scooters and mopeds tend to have a smaller engine than the average motorcycle and therefore out of all bike types, they are the cheapest to insure. In addition, there are few things you can do to cut the cost of your insurance premium even further.

Score discounts on your Scooter Insurance

One way to attract discount on moped and scooter insurance is to complete an advanced riding course such as those offered by the Institute of Advanced Motorists. An extra training will make you a better rider, and those with a clean riding record for two years or more pay even less. 

Up your security on the road and at night to get a lower premium. By keeping your scooter in a garage overnight and fitting approved security systems and locks you could reduce your scooter insurance cost.

Save even more by keeping hold of your moped; by owning and riding your moped or scooter for over a year, it shows consistent riding experience on the same vehicle and could reduce your insurance premium.

Learn about other ways to cut the cost of insurance and get the best rate possible on your scooter insurance.

Riding Mopeds

The Benefits of Riding a Moped

As a young rider, the biggest benefit of a moped is the freedom it offers you. They may be limited to 28mph, but even at this slow pace you can get to places without relying on lifts from your parents. Also, mopeds are remarkably frugal, easily doing 80mpg while remaining incredibly reliable – and you can even get replicas of your racing hero’s steed.

To more experienced riders, a moped is a cheap, economical means of zipping through traffic on short journeys and as well as being cheap to insure they cost just £17 a year in road tax. Environmentally speaking, a lot of the new electric vehicles are classed as mopeds due to their small engine size and even the petrol versions are good news for Mother Nature as they don’t sit in queues pumping out fumes like cars.

Who Can Ride a Moped?

All that's required to get on a moped up to 50cc is the successful completion of a one-day training course called CBT - Compulsory Basic Training. Car licence holders are also entitled to ride a moped if their full licence was issued before 1 February 2001.

Ensure your Moped is Insured

It is now a legal requirement for registered moped keepers to insure their vehicles at all times. The government has tightened up the rules by introducing a new set of regulations known as Continuous Insurance Enforcement Scheme, which makes it an offence to keep your vehicle in a garage without insurance, unless it has been declared off the road to the DVLA.

Hence it’s crucial to get your moped insured before you hit the road. Whether you ride Peugeot or Piaggio, make sure you are fully covered all year round.

Riding Scooters

The Benefits of Riding a Scooter

As the majority of scooters are ‘twist and go’ they don’t have a clutch, making them easier to ride through congested cities. Commuters love the fact that most scooters have large under seat storage compartments, meaning that you don’t have to lug a helmet around the shops.

With congestion charges, the cost of train tickets, limited parking and high petrol prices, scooters are becoming increasingly popular for inner-city commuters. The environmental benefits don’t only include the generally excellent fuel economy of scooters, but also the fact that they reduce congestion.

What Defines a Scooter?

According to UK registration criteria, a scooter is a style of motorcycle in much the same way as a sports bike or a naked bike is a style. As long as it is above 49cc and is a motorcycle with a step through frame (allows you to sit with your feet together on a footboard as the frame runs along the floor) then it is classed as a scooter.

The mounting of the engine, which is usually combined with the rear swingarm or located below the rider’s seat, allows this unique kind of frame design.

50cc and 125cc Insurance

A 50cc scooter or 125cc scooter is the perfect commuter, with plenty of nippy power for crossing town in the traffic, and a lightweight maneuverability that will leave most other vehicles jealously watching you as you weave out of sight. What's more, while motorbikes are all too often about performance first, with practicality coming as an afterthought, scooters are one of the most practical ways to get around.