How to get on two wheels!

Posted: 30 Jan 2014

How do I get on two wheels?

So you want to get yourself on two wheels? Congratulations, you’ve made a great decision! While it’s a bit more complicated than it used to be, getting your bike licence is still an easy process. What kind of test you take will depend on two things, your age and the size of the motorcycle you wish to be licenced to ride.

Find your age below to check out your options!

16 or over

You can get on two wheels as early as sixteen years old, so long as you possess a valid provisional or full car licence gained after 1 February 2001. Once you’ve passed your Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you’ll be able to ride a moped with L plates until your CBT expires after two years. To progress to a full AM licence, you must take both your theory and two part practical AM test before your CBT expires.

17 or over

With a valid CBT, at seventeen you can ride a motorcycle up to 125cc with L plates and again, to pass your full test you must then take a theory and two-part practical. With a full A1 licence, you can ride a motorcycle up to 125cc with a maximum power output of 11kW without L plates.

19 or over

If you are nineteen and wanting to get started, with a valid driving licence with provisional motorcycle entitlement you must take a CBT and then you can progress directly to the A2 theory and practical tests without having to worry about AM or A1 licences.

If you’re nineteen and have held your full A1 licence for two years, you can proceed straight to your A2 practical test on a motorcycle of at least 395cc not exceeding 35kW in power. If you haven’t held your A1 licence for two years, you must re-take a theory test if yours has expired before completing the practical.

The good thing about the A2 licence is there is no upper limit on engine size, meaning you could buy a 600cc bike and get it restricted to A2 standards until you pass your Category A test. Many manufacturers will do this free of charge for new models or relatively cheaper for older models.

21 – 23

If you’re between twenty-one and twenty-three years old and don’t currently possess any motorcycle licence, you can take the A2 test after passing a CBT and motorcycle theory test.

If you’re aged 21-23 and have had your A2 licence for two years, you can take your Category A practical test to permit you to ride any sized motorcycle. You must have had that A2 licence for two years though!

24 or over

At twenty four, even without any prior licence, you can take your practical Category A test with a valid CBT and theory test certificate, allowing you to ride any size of motorcycle.

If you have an existing full A2 licence, you can proceed directly to the practical test. If you have a full A1 licence or have had your A2 licence for less than two years, you must have a valid theory before taking your Category A practical test.

Latest Advice
  • How to sell your bike with ease and avoid scammers
    Riding Advice: My first… eBay Sale
  • What is the speed limit in the UK and how can you know what it is on each road? A law passed in 1935 makes it simple, so never get caught speeding again…
    What is the speed limit in the UK? The easy way to remember
  • Thousands of motorcycles, scooters, cars, caravans and other vehicles are listed on eBay through a hacked account scam. Here’s how to spot the fraud…
    eBay fraud: How to spot the hacked account scam
  • My first off road experience - tips from the pros
    Riding advice: My first ... Off road experience