Bennetts FAQs

Getting a Quote

How does Bennetts work out the best quote for me?

We use a panel of motorbike insurers and present you with the lowest quote from that panel. Our panel are all leading insurers and are quality checked by Bennetts. 

Are there any tricks to getting cheaper bike insurance?

Are there any tricks to getting cheaper bike insurance premium? Well the bike is the obvious one, a sportier bike will cost more to insure.

Which advanced riding qualifications will get me a discount on my motorcycle insurance?

If you have an advanced riding qualification, you could get up to a 10% reduction off your motorbike insurance premium, but this will vary depending in the insurer.

Discounts are provided for the following training schemes:

Advanced Police Motorcycle
Bike Safe Certificate
BMF Blue Riband
BMF Certificate of proficiency
DSA Examiners Motorcycle Test

Enhanced Riders Bonus
IAM Motorcycle Test 
MAC Rider Training

Post Test Training Register
RSPOA Motorcycle Gold
The Edge

Can I use my No claims bonus/discount (NCD) from my car insurance?

No sorry, only motorcycle no claims bonus can be used. 

Why do you have to ask so many questions for a quote?

The Bennetts online quote journey is actually one of the shortest in the industry and we are still working on making it as easy as possible. However we do have to capture minimum details for the insurers to be able to provide a quote. Some questions might seem pointless but actually we get better rates for you in certain cases.

It should be noted that we do make certain assumptions already before you start the quote journey to make it shorter so you should check these apply before beginning the quote. If they don’t, just give us a ring.

What details will I need to provide?

It helps to have the following information to hand:

• Full details of the make and model of your motorcycle(s)
• The year your motorcycle was made (not just the registration letter)
• The approximate value of the motorcycle and the date you bought it
• Details of any claims, convictions or accidents
• Details of any additional riders
• Details of any security devices on the bike(s) 

Who can you quote for?

Our online quotation service has been developed to cater for most motorcyclists from mopeds to sports bikes. At the present time we can provide online quotes for the following:

• Insurance cover for you and up to 3 additional riders
• Insurance cover for up to 6 bikes

We cannot quote for multiple bikes and multiple riders together.

What bikes can you quote for?

We quote for the vast majority of bikes from 49cc upwards from mopeds to sports bikes.

We can quote for bikes with some modifications online but if you have any doubts or can't find your modification, please call us on 0344 209 0498.

In addition, we don’t currently offer insurance for quad bikes, classic bikes, trikes, electric pedal cycles and we don’t do specialist insurance for track days. We currently offer annual insurance only.

If your motorcycle is unusual or simply not listed on our quotes system then please call us on 0344 209 0497 as we may still be able to provide you with cover.

Do you quote for bikes with modifications?

Yes. We have a list of modifications that Bennetts accept as standard. These can be found below:

  • Disability Adapted
  • Air Filter Changes
  • Bar Ends
  • Braided Hoses
  • Decals / Stickers (Unless Race Replica)
  • Grippers
  • Heated Grips
  • Huggers
  • Lights / Indicators / Mirrors
  • Scott Oilers
  • Screen Changes
  • Seat Replacement / Changes
  • Seat Cowl / Single Seat Units
  • Sissy Bars (Long Backrest)
  • Tail Tidy
  • Tank Pads          

Even if your modification is not listed as standard we can still quote for certain modifications by internet and by phone.  If you have any trouble finding your modification online or have any doubts, please call us on 0344 209 0498, and the advisor can help.

You need to tell us about any modifications to the bike that are not on our accepted as standard list when you take out the policy. It is important to declare them because if you do have an accident or the bike is stolen, you need to ensure your modifications are covered under the policy or you could lose out.

I am buying a bike but have not yet bought it – can I get a quote?

Yes you can quote for bike insurance anytime and that quote will be valid for 30 days. You can also purchase a policy before actually purchasing the bike as long as when the policy starts you are the registered keeper.

Can I insure a bike more than 30 days in advance?

No, we can only provide you with a quote up to 30 days in advance of the cover start date.

If you just want an indication of price you can input any start date within 30 days, save your quote and come back and update it later.

To retrieve your quote you will need the reference, your date of birth and postcode. You can then change the start policy date and update any other details on the saved quote. The quote will then be updated with a new price for your motorcycle insurance cover.

What happens if I don’t have the registration of the bike yet?

If you do not have the bike registration you will still be able to get a quote however you will need to confirm the registration details before purchasing a policy online.

Can I insure several riders on several bikes?

No sorry not on one policy. We can’t do a trade style policy. We can insure several riders on one bike and we do multibike policies if you have several bikes.

Can I insure 2 bikes on 2 different types of cover?

Yes but you will need two separate motorcycle insurance policies.

You can insure up to 6 bikes on the same policy, however the cover relates to the policy and not the individual bikes. 

Do you do bike insurance for several bikes on the same policy?

Yes we do, we call it a multibike policy and we can insure up to 6 bikes on the same policy. It mostly works out cheaper to insure all your bikes on the same policy and it saves on paperwork!

Can I insure several riders on the same bike?

We can insure up to 3 additional riders on the same bike.

What do I do if my bike isn’t on the list?

There are a few reasons why you may not be able to find your bike. You may need to think about the Bike Make: E.g. The manufacturer name for Piaggio is Vespa-Piaggio. Or Bike cc: In our quote journey, we have used cc ranges to give you a shorter list to search through. Please select "All engine sizes" to see a full list of bikes for the selected manufacturer.

Manufacturers bring out many new model variations each year and they notify these to the ABI (Association of British Insurers) so that a standard list can be used by all brokers and insurers.

Sometimes your bike can be difficult to spot in the list and we have provided a facility to allow you to order the list either alphabetically or by cc.

Sometimes if the bike is a brand new model the manufacturer may not have registered your new model with the ABI and it will not be on the list yet. However Bennetts have a manual system to add these bikes so we are better placed than most to be able to offer you a quote for any bike.

If on checking the list during the quote journey you cannot find your bike or have any queries please call one of our trained service staff on 0344 209 0498

I don’t live in the UK, can you insure me?

We can only offer motorbike insurance if you live in the UK and Northern Ireland.

Do any car accidents need to be reported in the quote?

Yes, you must state all accidents, not just those relating to your motorcycle, regardless of whether you made a claim on your insurance at the time. We do regularly cross reference with the car database so it is important that these are declared and you don’t invalidate your bike insurance.

Bike Licences

Do I need a bike licence?

If you passed your car driving test before 1st February 2001 you may use your full UK car licence as a provisional licence to ride a moped (50cc max, max speed 50 mph). In the quote journey you should insert your licence as provisional.

If you passed your car driving test after 1st February 2001 you will need at least a provisional licence to ride any type of bike even with L Plates.

You can take a CBT and there are also two types of full motorcycle licence. See next questions for more details.

What is the CBT?

CBT means Compulsory basic training. CBT must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride on the road with L-plates (or D-plates in Wales).

You will need to complete CBT if:
• you want to ride a moped (a moped has an engine not over 50 cc with maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) which is approximately 31 miles per hour)
• you want to ride a motorcycle

If you do not have a full motorbike license, then we must receive your CBT certificate within 30 days of the policy start date.  Failure to send this will result in the cancellation of your policy.

If you obtained your car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped.

What does a full motorcycle licence allow me to ride?

There are two types of full motorcycle licence:

A light motorcycle licence (A1), which restricts riders to any bike up to 125 cc and a power output of 11 kW. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75 cc and 125 cc

A standard motorcycle licence (A), is obtained if the practical test is taken on a bike of over 120 cc but not more than 125 cc and capable of at least 100 km/h per hour. After passing the standard motorcycle practical test, you will be restricted for two years to riding a bike of up to 25 kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16 kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike.


What levels of bike insurance cover do you offer?

We offer "Third Party Only", "Third Party Fire and Theft" or "Fully Comprehensive" motorcycle insurance cover. Below is a basic explanation of what this means but you will need to look at your own policy document to get the details of your own cover.

Third Party Only cover (TPO)

Third Party Only (TPO) covers you for claims made by other people, against you, for death/bodily injury or damage to their property. You are not covered if the bike is stolen. You will not be covered for any damage to your own bike if there is an accident where you are at fault or partly at fault. Terms and conditions apply.

Third Party Fire & Theft cover (TPFT)

Third Party Fire & Theft (TPFT) covers you for claims made by other people, against you, for death/bodily injury or damage to their property and if your bike is stolen or damaged by fire. Terms and conditions apply.

Comprehensive cover (COMP)

Comprehensive (COMP) covers you for claims made by other people, against you, for death/bodily injury or damage to their property. This also covers your bike if it is stolen or damaged by fire, accidental or malicious damage. For the loss or damage of your own motorcycle and subject to any exceptions outlined in your policy, the insurer will either pay for your motorcycle to be repaired, or replace your motorcycle or pay the amount for the loss or damage. The insurer will also pay for accident recovery. Terms and conditions apply. 

What is compulsory excess?

This is a mandatory amount deducted from any claim settlement. It’s taken as your contribution to the overall claim cost and is set by the insurer. You also need to consider the voluntary excess (see below). You need to include both to get your total excess payable if you have a claim.

So if you have a compulsory excess of £50 and a voluntary excess of £150 and your claim is for £500, then your total excess is £200 you will receive £300 back from your Insurer. If the accident was not your fault, you may be able to recover your excess from the person to blame (third party) or their Insurers. 

What is voluntary excess?

You may be able to lower your insurance premium by choosing to add a voluntary excess The voluntary excess is your own choice of level of excess payment that is added to the compulsory excess and makes up your total excess amount payable if you make a claim.

Bennetts will let you choose which level of excess you want to add to the compulsory excess. You may be able to choose £0. However, as a rule the higher the voluntary excess you are willing to pay, the lower the insurance premium, so you need to make a judgement as to what is right for you.

So if you have a compulsory excess of £50 and a voluntary excess of £150 and your claim is for £500, then your total excess is £200 you will receive £300 back from your Insurer. If the accident was not your fault, you may be able to recover your excess from the person to blame (third party) or their Insurers. 

Will I be covered to ride other bikes?

This benefit will be stated on your bike insurance schedule and insurance certificate. Subject to age conditions and occupation and for most types of bikes, your insurance will cover you to ride other bikes. It is best to check this when you take out the policy. 

Am I covered to ride abroad?

Your motorcycle insurance policy will automatically allow you to ride in Europe for up to 90 days in one trip. You are not restricted to 90 days in total in the year; just 90 days in one go without coming back to the UK. Europe includes any country which is a member of the European Union.

Am I covered to ride for track days?

No you will need a specialist insurance provider for this. Please ask the organising company for details.

Am I covered to ride for business?

If you select business use you will be covered to use the bike to travel to or from work. However Business Use will be restricted to the Proposer only (main policy holder)

Please be aware though that most insurers will have restrictions. For example you can not use your bike to hire it out or be a courier, a dispatch rider or for food delivery. You will need specialist insurance for this type of occupation.

Am I still covered if I have changed my address?

You need to inform us immediately about any changes in address or occupation since this affects the risk to the insurer. Your premium may be adjusted, could be up, could be down depending on the circumstances. You do need to tell us since the policy cover could become invalid.

Extra Cover

What extra cover can I get?

Bennetts offer the most extensive range of extra cover including:

• Helmet and Leathers cover (which also includes protective clothing),
• No claims discount (NCD) protection,
• RAC breakdown cover, (3 levels of cover)
• Legal Expenses cover,
• Personal Accident cover (in case of accidental death)

What do I get with the Helmet and Leathers Cover?

Helmet and leather cover actually covers you for a lot more than you think!

Helmet, leathers, protective clothing, boots and gloves will all be protected against damage caused by a motorcycle accident.

If you add up the cost of all the gear you are using and wearing, you may well find that it is worth insuring for a little extra.

You will be able to claim up to the value of £750 against this policy.

You can add Helmet and Leathers cover to your main policy when taking out insurance with Bennetts either over the phone or online. Alternatively, if you are an existing customer, then you can contact our customer services team on 0344 412 2171 and they will be able to assist.

What do I get with the No Claims Discount Protection?

On certain schemes and for a small additional fee, Bennetts can help you keep your no claims bonus. So you'll still get a great discount on your insurance even if you have to make a claim.

It is definitely worth considering if you have built up a few year’s no claims bonus since only one small claim and you could lose it which is quite annoying for anybody trying to get a good price for their bike insurance.

What do I get with RAC breakdown Cover?

Bennetts offer three levels of Breakdown service, all supplied by RAC, a name you can trust.

With all 3 levels you get 24 hour service, fast call out times and a highly trained patrol force.

For Breakdown you get free call out and labour for roadside repairs - you only pay for any necessary parts. If your bike cannot be fixed within a reasonable time, you will be taken to the nearest garage or destination of your choice within 10 miles.

We also offer Breakdown Plus, if your bike cannot be fixed within a reasonable time, we'll take you and a pillion passenger home or to a destination of your choice within the UK. This service also includes At Home assistance.

Finally for those who enjoy travelling abroad on their bike we offer Breakdown EU. This includes all the benefits of the above but in the case that you breakdown within the European Union you will be covered for roadside repairs, recovery to the nearest garage, alternative travel arrangements and accommodation if required, and if your bike cannot be fixed repatriation to the United Kingdom.

* Breakdown EU is not available where bike is less than 121 cc.

What do I get with Legal Expenses Cover?

It's important to make sure that you limit the damage to your pocket and the expenses incurred if you're unlucky enough to be involved in a biking accident which isn't your fault.

Whatever level of insurance cover, Third Party Only, Third Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive, you will need protection against potential uninsured losses that can result from even a minor accident. You might have to pay an excess on your policy, incur costs to repair your vehicle if you are insured Third Party, pay bike/car hire charges whilst your vehicle is repaired, incur costs for legal proceedings or suffer loss of earnings due to injury.

What do I get with Personal Accident Cover?

It's not a subject that bikers like to discuss, but just imagine how difficult life would become if you had a serious bike accident. Bennetts can provide cover that gives you a cash payment in the event of loss of limb, permanent loss of sight, speech or hearing and permanent total disablement. In the event of your accidental death we would pay your family or estate a lump sum. It's very unpleasant to imagine, but it might be worth insuring against the worst to help alleviate the pain and distress for you and your family

Can I add extra cover even after I have taken out my policy or at any time during my policy?

Yes, you can phone Customer Services on 0344 4122171 and we can add in any one of our extra covers and you will pay the pro-rata price. So if you have 9 months remaining on your main insurance policy we will charge you for 9/12 of the premium for the extra cover.

Administration and Payment

When will I receive my policy documents?

You will receive your documents within 7 days.

What payment options are there?


Annual Upfront Payment

Annual payments can be made by credit/debit card online or over the phone. Unfortunately we do not accept American Express.

Please note that payment will be debited on or around the day requested even if you require the cover to start at a later date.

Monthly Payments

This allows you to split the cost of your insurance in instalments over the year. Bennetts can offer you a credit scheme for this operated by Saga Services Limited. Your insurance is still calculated over a year not on a monthly basis.

There is a charge for paying by instalments and the current APR will be indicated on the price display page.

To pay by instalments you will need to pay an initial deposit and then set up a direct debit from your bank account for the remaining months.
There are a few cases where we are unable to offer the monthly payment service:
• If you are under 18 years of age
• If the annual cost of your insurance is less than a certain amount
• We are unable to because of your credit history


Can I pay monthly?


Yes we can offer this for most customers. Bennetts can offer you a credit scheme for this operated by Saga Services Limited providing you are over 18 and the annual premium amount is over a certain minimum level. Your insurance is still calculated over a year not on a monthly basis.

There is a charge for paying by instalments and the current APR will be indicated on the price display page.

To pay by instalments you will need to pay an initial deposit and then set up a direct debit from your bank account for the remaining months.

There are a few cases where we are unable to offer the monthly payment service:

• If you are under 18 years of age
• If the annual cost of your insurance is less than a certain amount
• We are unable to because of your credit history


Do I have to pay online if I get an online quote?

No. You are welcome to call our advisors on 0344 209 0498 with your personal quote reference number and they will take the payment for you.

How long will I wait for a refund?

It does take some time to refund if it is following a cancellation. All refunds should be received within 30 days starting from the date of cancellation.

In addition, if you make a change to your policy and the changes you make affect the details on the certificate if insurance or a new certificate is issued we will require the obsolete certificate back before we can refund.

Cancellations and Adjustments

What happens if I want to cancel within 14 days?

If you are a new customer and you wish to cancel your policy within the first 14 days of receiving your policy documents, unless a total loss claim has occurred, the insurer will refund a percentage of the premium calculated on a pro rate basis equivalent to the period of cover left unused. A cancellation fee of £30 payable to Bennetts will also apply.


What happens if I want to cancel after 14 days but before the end of my policy?

If you cancel your policy more than 14 days after receiving your policy documentation Bennetts will charge you a fee of £50 and the insurer will refund a percentage of the premium calculated on a pro rate basis equivalent to the period of cover left unused, providing no claims have been made. If a claim has been made, or there has been an incident which may lead to a claim, no refund will be given and all premiums would be due.


What happens if I want to make a change to my policy? E.g change of bike, change of address, change of cover, add a rider etc

Just give us a ring on 0344 412 2171 and we’ll make the change. You will be charged an adjustment fee of £32. The premium may also increase or decrease.


What happens at renewal?

We will write to you about 28 days before your renewal date with your new quoted premium for the following year. Provided you have given us permission, we search again our panel of insurers to get the best price so we may offer you a different insurer.

If you have not opted out, customers will be automatically renewed using the same debit or credit card. This saves time and administration and is clearly stated on your renewal letter. If you don’t wish to renew you can still cancel by calling us before the renewal date on 0330 018 1587.

If you have opted out of automatic renewal, you will still receive your renewal letter with your new insurance premium but you will need to call us to arrange payment and to continue cover.

In either case, if you do not wish to renew you must please let us know.

What happens if I don’t wish to renew?

You just need to let us know before the renewal date on your letter. Please call us on 0330 018 1587. You will not be charged.


What is the number I should ring if I need to report a claim?

The Bennetts claims number is 0330 018 9166

We have a dedicated bike team who will be happy to guide you through the process.

Do I need to report an accident even if I don't intend claiming?

You should report all accidents, thefts, attempted thefts, malicious damage incidents. Even if you are not going to make a claim it is important that you call us to ensure we can deal with any possible claim from another driver and also update your policy to reflect this. 

Do I need to report incidents to the Police?

Vehicle theft, attempted theft and malicious damage incidents must be reported to the police within 48 hours. Please take a note of the crime reference number, as you will be asked for it. Please report any accident involving injuries, or where the other driver/rider does not stop. 

What should I do in the event of an incident?

If you become aware of any accident or loss involving your motorcycle, or of any other incident which may lead to a claim by you or a third party, report the incident as soon as possible by calling our specialist claims team on 0330 018 9166. They will help you and discuss the next steps in our process.

Will my No Claims Discount (NCD) be affected?

If you and your motorcycle are involved in an incident that is not your fault, your NCD will be affected only until such time that your insurer is successful in recovering your vehicle’s repair costs from the at fault party. If successful your NCD is no longer affected. If you have a protected NCD, it will usually not be affected by the first 2 claims in any three-year period of cover.

If you have been involved in an accident or your Bike is damaged or stolen, call our specialist team on 0330 018 9166.

What information will I need to provide when reporting a claim?

Our specialist advisors will guide you through our claims process but it will help if you have the following information available when reporting your claim.

• Date, Time and Location of Incident
• Other party details – name/address/contact telephone number/vehicle registration/insurance details
• Name and Contact Details of any witnesses
• Police Details/Crime Reference Number if applicable.

If you do not have all the above details we will attempt to gain as much information as possible following your report.


How can I contact you?

To get a quote please call 0344 209 0498
For existing customers call Customer Services on 0344 412 2171
For a claim call 0330 018 9166
For Roadside Assistance call 0800 058 2368

For any general enquiries regarding the insurance cover we provide, you can call us on 0344 412 2171 or email us at  Please have your policy details to hand an if emailing please include a telephone number we can contact you on.

Please note that we can not make any changes to your policy by email and will need to speak to you in person.  Please ring Customer Services for advice. 

What are the Contact Centre’s opening hours?

Lines are open:

Monday to Friday 8am - 9pm
Saturday 9am - 5pm
Sunday 10am - 4pm 

Changes to opening hours during Christmas and New Year period

Christmas and New Year opening times may vary   


What if I want to make a complaint?

If you wish to register a complaint, please contact us:

By phone - Telephone 0344 412 2171

In writing -

Customer Relations Manager,
The Saga Building,
Middelburg Square,
CT20 1AZ

By email at

If we cannot settle your complaint with us you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.


How do I contact your Marketing team?

For any marketing and sponsorship enquiries, please contact:

Press office:
For any Dealership and Referral enquiries, please contact:

Alternatively, you can write to us at Bennetts, Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE

Bennetts is a trading name of Bennetts Biking Services Limited, company number 9028554 registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Enbrook Park, Sandgate, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE. For information on how your personal data will be used please read our Privacy & Cookie Policy. © 2000 - 2015 Bennetts. All rights reserved.

*In February 2015, a survey of 456 bikers by independent research company, Ipsos MORI, found Bennetts cover to be one of the most recommended by riders.

Bennetts Biking Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Our Financial Services number is 654402.

This website uses cookies. Cookies improve the functionality of our website and offer you the best experience. You can delete or block all cookies but some parts of the website will not work.

Important. By continuing to use this website you give consent for cookies to be used. For information including how to stop them, click Privacy & Cookie Policy.